Total Pageviews

Sunday 9 June 2019

1978 Paighton School UFO Sighting

 AOPB/30102018/Devon1978

Sadly, not a great deal to this one. Simon L contacted me after seeing a news appeal for three youngsters involved in a UFO sighting in 1978 (Buckfastleigh). He wrote:

“I was in Primary School ( Hayes Rd, Paignton) late 70’s when three of us saw an object fly past the window...

“Afraid of getting into trouble none of us said anything until after lesson...

“Nobody believed us so they all got us to draw the object...

“We all drew the same thing... as we were all sat together again they thought that we just copied each other...

“We didn’t. We could have been in different rooms and the same picture would have come out...

“It was put in the Herald but quickly swept under the carpet...

“One of the other chaps was called Robert T who is on FaceBook and I am sure the third was a lad called Brian M…. If it wasn’t Brian I am sure that Robert would know who it was…”

I contacted Simon and asked whether he could send me a copy of the drawing that he still had. He sent the image along with the message:

“The picture you have to remember was drawn by an 11 year old…. I’m not sure but the wings could possibly be artistic licence…. but I do remember how slowly it moved across the sky…”



Drawing by Simon L

It was then a case of tracking down Rob T and it took a while but I asked if he would mind my asking what he had seen. He was, in fact, able to add to Simon’s account:

“Hi Terry, it would have been 1978.. I remember it very well. I recall that it was very low, just above the tree tops. We were to scared to tell the teacher at the time as she was reading something out to us and she was a bit of an oger lol.. it was reported in the Torbay news (not the Hearld). There was also a couple of gentlemen who came to the school to talk to us but weren't allowed to, I remember the headmaster telling us off about that!.. Simon is correct, it was Brian M. Hope this helps.”

I asked whether he could draw the object he had seen all those years ago and he said he would try. I then received this:

“Terry, apologies for the delay and the child like drawing!.. art was never my forte!.. I've included the bungalow and trees to try and show how low and close it was. It was a rusty coulor, with no lights. Sorry again, hope this helps a little.”



Rob’s drawing. It may well be crude but gives some extra information. Namely, we now know the object moved over a bungalow and some trees. I did not let Rob see Simon’s drawing as that might have influenced him.

Brian M does not appear to use Face Book and I can find no contact details for him so have drawn a blank there. Without a date it is hard to track down the newspaper issue that covered the story.

I do recall that Bob Boyd from the Plymouth UFO Research Group (PUFORG) mentioned this incident at the time and I can remember being slightly shocked when he told me that he went with another PUFORG member to the school unannounced but never got a good reception.

No comments:

Post a Comment