Total Pageviews

Tuesday 3 December 2019

Not the first time this has happened

I have been called a miserable so-and-so again.

I've been called worse in my time.

Why now?  Well a couple people -a ufologist and a 'Fortean'- had a brilliant idea for a hoax/joke. It would have been a laugh and the intention was to draw in press attention and get a big fuss going. "You're well known and if you say you have had reports of a similar strange creature in the area that adds weight to it"  That is when I said "NO" even as they thought telling me I might sell a few books through this was a good idea.

It comes down to credibility.

For the last year I have concerted attempts made (by ufologists and cryptozoologists) to draw me into accepting hoaxes that would -and this is what they have said- "smash his (my) credibility". Some of these attempts I have exposed on the blog but I think it says a great deal about these people that the only thing they put real energy into is trying to hoax me.

This is where the hoax/joke comes in. In Strange and Mysterious Beasts I looked into a number of well known "creature" incidents, particularly from the UK, and found out that most started as jokes. In fact, in one case, to make sure that it was never misconstrued as anything other than a joke concocted with a local reporter the people involved told two very well known "phenomena" authors who have appeared on TV the facts and made it clear that it was a joke. One author responded "Doesn't matter" while the other wrote about the incidents and added to them.

Not the first time this has happened in the UFO, Bigfoot, ghost and cryptozoology 'community'.

Imagine I took part in such a joke. Years later someone produces genuine evidence of an unknown creature or whatever.  I make a press statement and if a reporter doesn't remember the joke from years before you can bet one of the 'community' will remind them. The response would be "Oh, he's been hoaxing before?"

Though I hate writing or saying this -it sounds far too egotistical- I am a "noted naturalist" with my name on papers. Research I do on foxes and non native cats would never be taken seriously if my reputation for checking, double and triple checking facts was marred by "He hoaxes you know!"

I do have a sense of humour but that stays well away from my work. If I give my word then that is my bond and what is that worth if I take part in hoaxes or jokes?

No comments:

Post a Comment