Total Pageviews

Tuesday 21 September 2021

Publishing and if you have been considering buying one of my books...act fast!

 In case you are wondering (I know you are not but I am trying to be polite) what happened to the book price rises here is the story.

I am disputing my right to withdraw my books from sale in the United States because I get hit hard by U.S. taxes on sales which means I make back around $1 on a book sold. Add the fluctuating exchange rate (and my print on demand firms goes for the time advantageous for them to pay me) and books of 300+ pages, fully illustrated and which took me years to write are going for free. The books were supposedly my "living" and I am not making any "living" at the moment.

At £20 a book that was cheap so if I am unable to block the U. S. as a market (not something I would normally do) the prices have to increase. I have no choice because I am just giving everything away and no publisher is willing to take on books of this type in the UK because they do not understand them. Seriously.

The above was from August and a lot has been going on since. Apparently, as the author and publisher and owner of all rights to my books I cannot remove them from sale in the United States. THAT is not what the PODpromised with "publishing freedom". For the sale of £80 worth of books I 'earned' £18.00 )just translate that as $). 

The POD also hit publishers with new increased printing prices which they say will not affect current books but they will not explain HOW they are going to get the extra money they want and despite asking there is no answer -the likelihood is that it will come from my sales money.

Oh, then they decided that from early October there will be a "handling charge" but have flatly refused to say how much and who is going to pay this charge -again it is suspected that this will come from MY sales which means two things...

1.  Withdraw the books

2. Increase the prices to cover both new and as yet unknown charges.

So, until the new details are given in October the books stay at the current prices but after that....














No comments:

Post a Comment